Rinse and soak
- 1 cup red lentils (or any yellow/orange lentils)
for 20 minutes. Drain and place them in a medium pot with
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup diced golden apple (optional)
- 1/6 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for roughly 15 minutes (until the beans are soft and falling apart).
While the beans are boiling, toast and grind
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds.
Mix the ground spices with
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground sumac
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional, makes it spicy).
In a small pan, heat
- 2 tbsp coconut oil.
Add the spices, fry for 1 or 2 minutes, and then stir the oil+spices into the beans.
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (optional).
Serve alone or over basmati rice.