This recipe originally comes from Krishna Lunch at the University of Florida. I've tweaked it a little to try to make it taste closer to the original.
- 1/4 cup powdered almonds
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (currently I'm using Anthony's brand)
- 1/12 tsp asafoetida powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/3 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1.25 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 1/4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1-2 drops almond extract (if you like that extra almond flavor)
Yields roughly 1 cup.
- Put the dry ingredients into a blender.
- Add the liquids and blend for 1 minute.
- Taste and observe the thickness. If it's too thick, add a small amount of extra water and blend briefly. Repeat if necessary. (Remember that it will thicken with refrigeration.)
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.