- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 large-ish yellow onion
- 2 lb ground beef
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 cup beef stock (or broth)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz can chili beans in medium sauce
- 16 oz can pinto beans (drained)
- 16 oz can chickpeas (drained)
- One box of chili mix or:
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 oz dark or semisweet baking chocolate
- Dice the onion.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Open the cans.
- Drain the pinto beans and chickpeas
Start by sautéing the onion with the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When the onion has started to brown, increase to high heat and add the garlic and ground beef. When the ground beef is mostly browned, add the black pepper and fennel. When the ground beef is completely browned, add the liquids and beans, followed by the remaining spices and chocolate. Reduce the heat and simmer for roughly an hour.