Time: 30m prep, 2h cook (45m active, then simmering)
- 1/4 cup oil (preferably bacon grease)
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
- 3 large carrots, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (amount is ?)
- 1/2 can chipotle peppers in adobo, blended into a paste (amount is ?)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 16 oz can kidney beans (drained)
- 48 oz can chickpeas (drained)
- One box of chili mix or:
- 2 Tbsp Ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp New Mexico chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 oz dark or semisweet baking chocolate (optional)
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
- Brown the meat, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrot, peppers, and remaining oil and cook until the mixture turns golden brown (~30 minutes).
- Add the garlic, black pepper, and fennel seeds and cook until the garlic is not burned yet.
- Add the chipotle peppers and tomato paste.
- Add the canned tomatoes, beans, and remaining spices.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.
- Optionally add the optional ingredients and adjust seasoning.